(WWD.com) — Coco Chanel’s impact on fashion is unparalleled — and her design legacy is just as relevant today, on what would have been her 136th birthday, as it was decades ago.
The legendary fashion designer ’s canon of now-staples — the tweed suit, her No. 5 fragrance and the little black dress — exemplify the elegant, modern style that she was known for and one that was carried on by her successor Karl Lagerfeld , until his death earlier this year.
In honor of Chanel ’s birthday — Aug. 19, 1883 — WWD looks back at the designer’s legacy, unearthing some little-known facts about the iconic designer from our archives.
Here are nine things you probably didn’t know about Coco Chanel:
1. She refused a marriage proposal from the Duke of Westminster.
Chanel reportedly had a 10-year affair with the second Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grosvenor, during which time the Duke proposed marriage to the designer. Chanel refused, later stating: “There […]
This Just In…
- WeHo City Wins Four National Communications Awards at 3CMA September 18, 2019
- City Encourages Those Eligible to Apply for CalFresh Benefits September 18, 2019
- Man Emails Mass Shooting Threat to Avoid Going to Fair September 18, 2019
- Beverly Hills Considers Second Metro Entrance for Rodeo Station September 18, 2019
- Mac Miller Leaves $11 Million Fortune to Friends and Family September 18, 2019
- Drugs and Alcohol1 day ago
Ed Buck Arrested after Third, Non-Fatal OD, $4 Million Bail Requested
- Strange News14 hours ago
Man Emails Mass Shooting Threat to Avoid Going to Fair
- Business3 days ago
Whole Foods Cuts Med Benefits for 1,900 Part-Time Workers
- Transportation15 hours ago
Beverly Hills Considers Second Metro Entrance for Rodeo Station