Connect with us

Scandals

‘The Exorcist’ Priest Accused of Sexually Abusing Student in 1980s

Published

on

NEW YORK (TMZ) — The real-life priest who starred in “The Exorcist” is now accused of repeatedly sexually abusing one of his students at a Jesuit High School in upstate NY.

Father William J. O’Malley played Father Dyer in the 1973 classic horror flick, but before and after his Hollywood success … he taught at McQuaid Jesuit High in Rochester. One of his students just named O’Malley in a massive lawsuit filed this week against multiple defendants.

According to docs, obtained by TMZ, O’Malley allegedly sexually abused a then 17-year-old student “multiple times” in ’85 and ’86. His accuser claims the abuse took place in a classroom, in school hallways and also at school-sponsored events.

As it turns out, O’Malley left McQuaid High after the ’85-’86 school year and took a job at Fordham Prep in the Bronx. McQuaid officials say they have no record of any sexual abuse complaints against O’Malley … so it doesn’t appear that was his reason for leaving.

The allegations were made in a lawsuit filed this week under NY’s new Child Victims Act … which gives alleged victims a 1-year window to make claims that would previously have expired under the statute of limitations.

O’Malley is now 87 and living at Fordham University. He was fired from Fordham Prep School in 2012, reportedly for having an “abrasive” old-school teaching style.

The lawsuit was filed against the Rochester diocese and several schools and churches. O’Malley is not a defendant, but McQuaid Jesuit High is.

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)

TMZ refers to to a studio-established “thirty mile zone” to monitor rules for filming in Hollywood. The center of the zone was the offices of The Association of Motion Pictures and Television Producers, formerly at Beverly and La Cienega Boulevard. Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check https://www.tmz.com/shows/ for syndicated/local listings at the bottom of the page)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Celeb Crime

College Admissions Ringleader Rick Singer Says FBI Told Him to Lie

Published

on

By

(TMZ) — The FBI told the ringleader in the college admissions scandal to lie and say his clients knew he was bribing college officials, and when he wouldn’t play ball they yelled at him … this according to Rick Singer himself.

It’s a stunning, possible game-changing development in the case. One of the parents who’s being prosecuted — Elisabeth Kimmel — filed legal docs Wednesday claiming the government just belatedly produced notes from Singer’s iPhone.

Singer writes, “Loud and abrasive call with agents. They continue to ask me to tell a fib and not restate what I told my clients as to where there [sic] money was going — to the program, not the coach and that it was a donation and they want it to be a payment.”

In other words, Singer says he told his clients the money they were paying was a donation to the school, not a bribe to a coach.

Singer’s notes have implications that go far beyond Elisabeth Kimmel. Fact is … Lori Loughlin and other parents will benefit from the new revelation because it goes to the heart of the government’s case — namely, where the parents thought the money was going. If they thought it was going to the school, prosecutors may have had the rug pulled out from under them.

As we reported, Lori and other defendants have complained prosecutors have been withholding key evidence that tends to show the parents did not commit a crime. This new piece of evidence may be the smoking gun … made all the more powerful by the fact the government didn’t disclose it in a timely fashion … not even close.

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli just filed their own motion regarding the exculpatory evidence prosecutors finally produced … and their docs include even more notes from Singer.

After Singer described the “loud and abrasive” call he added, “Essentially they (FBI agents) are asking me to bend the truth which is what they asked me not to do when working with the agents and Eric Rosen (Asst. U.S. Attorney).”

Singer also noted that someone named Liz, presumably a federal agent, “raised her voice to me like she did in the hotel room about agreeing with her that everyone bribed the schools. This time about asking each person to agree to a lie I was telling them.”

According to the motion, filed by Lori and Mossimo’s attorney Sean Berkowitz, Singer also noted the “Government’s desire to ‘nail’ one of the defendants ‘at all costs.'” The defendant they referred to was not Lori or Mossimo.

The docs, obtained by TMZ, also say Singer’s notes demonstrate that “those agents attempted to bully him into lying and saying something different” from what he told clients prior to the FBI beginning its wiretapping.

As Berkowitz says in the docs, Singer’s notes are “devastating to the Government’s case and demonstrate[] that the Government has been improperly withholding core exculpatory information, employing a ‘win at all costs’ effort rather than following their obligation to do justice.”

For now, Lori and Mossimo are requesting a postponement of setting a trial date, which was scheduled to happen Thursday in a Boston federal court — but their motion also informs the court they’re considering filing motions to dismiss and motions for sanctions against prosecutors for withholding this evidence.

They also point out prosecutors’ lengthy delay in handing over Singer’s notes has already screwed over defendants who took plea deals “without the benefit of this evidence.”

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

LA County Sheriff’s Deputies Reportedly Share Gruesome Kobe Crash Photos

Published

on

By

LOS ANGELES (TMZ) — Some L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputies shared photos of the scene where Kobe Bryant , his daughter, Gigi, and 7 others lost their lives … and the photos included remains from the gruesome aftermath … this according to a new report.

It’s not clear who took the photos, but it was being talked about by first responders just 2 days after the crash, this according to the L.A. Times.

And, according to the report, at least one L.A. County Sheriff’s official had the photos on his cellphone “in a setting that had nothing to do with the investigation.”

The report does not say who took the photos and how many deputies and officials at the Sheriff’s Dept. saw or shared the photos.

The Sheriff’s Dept. contacted families of all of the victims … an official told The Times the reason for contacting them was not because of the allegation but rather because there was a media inquiry over the allegation.

The Sheriff’s Department would only say, “The matter is being looked into.”

We’re told the Sheriff’s Dept. has known about this for 3 weeks. The trainee who showed the photos to a woman in a bar did so a few days after the crash.

We’re told the gruesome photos were also passed around by members of the L.A. County Fire Dept. and we’re told that Dept. is now investigating.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, multiple L.A. County Sheriff’s deputies who responded to the crash scene took photos that included remains. We’re told one of the deputies — a trainee — took photos and at some point went to a bar and, as one source put it, “He tried to impress a girl by showing her the photos.” We’re told the bartender overheard the conversation and filed an online complaint with the Sheriff’s Dept.

We’re also told the cell phone photos were passed around at the Lost Hills Sheriff’s substation — the first responders to the crash. Sources say deputies from other substations around L.A. County also took cell phone photos.

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)


Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Drew Carey’s Emotional Tribute to Murdered Ex-Fiancee Amie Harwick

Published

on

(TMZ) — Drew Carey ‘s still reeling over the murder of his ex-fiancee, Amie Harwick , who he’s calling a “beautiful person who didn’t deserve to die like she did” … in his first heartbreaking public tribute to her.

Carey opened up about Harwick on his weekly SiriusXM show, calling his engagement to her the “best relationship of my life.” “The Price is Right” host got very emotional talking about his love for Amie — even after their breakup — and the special connection they had over music.

He shared a special setlist for his radio show … one he’d made specifically for her. It included “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” and “Dedicated to the One I Love.”

Drew also touched on Amie’s alleged murderer, saying she was killed by an ex-boyfriend who had been stalking her for about 10 years … even when she was in a relationship with Carey. He says Harwick’s ex “finally got her.”

As you know … Gareth Pursehouse has been arrested and charged with Harwick’s murder. Cops say he attacked her in her home, causing her to fall to her death from a third-story balcony. Harwick had filed for restraining orders against him nearly a decade ago, but it’s believed he may have had contact with her at a recent work event.

Carey ended his tribute to Harwick by thanking musicians who touch people like him and Amie, and saying “I loved her very much.” He then played his setlist for her and says he might not be back on the radio program for a while as he recovers from the tragedy.

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)

Continue Reading
Advertisement

This Just In…

Trending