Connect with us
[the_ad id="4069195"]

Hate Incidents

Gay Man Wins $572,500 Settlement From CA Police Assault

Published

on

PALO ALTO (LGBTQNation) — A gay man who sued the Palo Alto Police Department in California just settled for $572,000.

Gustavo Alvarez said that police officers used excessive force when he was arrested for allegedly driving with a suspended license in February 2018. His lawyers released video of the beating earlier this year.

The settlement with the city also requires all police officers in the department to undergo LGBTQ sensitivity training and former Sgt. Wayne Benitez – one of the officers involved in Alvarez’s arrest – will have to write an apology that will be made public.

“This case isn’t going to change the culture within the department overnight,” Alvarez’s attorney Cody Salfen told Mercury News . “But this settlement […]

Continue reading at www.lgbtqnation.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Celebrity News

‘Bachelor’ Contestant Apologizes for White Lives Matter Shoot

Published

on

By

(TMZ) — ‘Bachelor’ contestant Victoria F is finally addressing a controversy that’s been dogging her for a minute now — issuing a mea culpa for being part of a ‘White Lives Matter’ campaign.

The model — who’s currently still in the running for Peter Weber ‘s final rose — took to social media Saturday with a Notes-written apology for her eyebrow-raising shoot, which she posted on her Instagram story.

It says, “I would like to sincerely apologize for my involvement with We Love Marlins. My intention was only to support an endangered species.” She continues in her post, “I want to say that I unequivocally reject the beliefs of the white lives matter movement or any propaganda that supports racism of any kind.

It says, “I would like to sincerely apologize for my involvement with We Love Marlins. My intention was only to support an endangered species.”

She continues in her post, “I want to say that I unequivocally reject the beliefs of the white lives matter movement or any propaganda that supports racism of any kind. I would like to specifically apologize to people of color that are affected by racism daily.”

MarlinLivesMatter.com

VF finished by saying, “It was never my intention to add fuel to the racial fire in this country. This has truly been an educational moment for me and I hope to be a voice against racism moving forward. I hope I can be shown grace as I navigate through this process.”

The timing of her apology is interesting … as we reported and as ‘Bachelor’ nation now knows, Victoria is in the final four group of girls who are taking Pete to their hometown.

We knew about the ‘WLM’ campaign — which was meant to be a ‘BLM’ pun to raise awareness about over-fishing white Marlin — but it went unaddressed as the show continued. About a week ago, however, Cosmo scrapped Victoria from their digital cover because of it.

No word if she ends up going the distance with Pete — rumor has it he doesn’t choose any of the remaining girls — but it seems her post-‘Bachelor’ life demanded she speak on this.

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Jussie Smollett Facing 6 New Counts for Allegedly Faking Attack

Published

on

By

CHICAGO (TMZ) — Jussie Smollett is facing felony charges in Chicago again — the special prosecutor just announced an indictment against the actor for the alleged homophobic attack against him last year.

A grand jury handed up the new indictment against Jussie. Dan Webb was appointed special prosecutor for the case last summer. We’re told he’s now facing 6 felony counts for lying to law enforcement. The indictment calls the 6 charges “disorderly conduct,” but all 6 involve allegations of lying to cops.

This effectively re-opens the controversial case that led to Smollett getting fired from “Empire.”

Special Prosecutor Webb says Jussie “planned and participated in a staged hate crime attack, and thereafter made numerous false statements to Chicago Police Dept. officers.”

Webb adds the new charges — pared down from 16 to 6 — were re-filed “in the interest of justice.” Webb was critical of the State’s Attorney who dismissed the case, saying Kim Foxx’s office had no additional evidence from what the Grand Jury had when they indicted Smollett in the first place, so the dismissal made no sense.

Getty

Jussie and his attorneys had staged a legal battle against the special prosecutor, saying it would expose him to double jeopardy. That effort was shot down in court. You’ll recall Cook County prosecutors dropped all 16 felony counts against Smollett in March 2019 … calling it a “just disposition and appropriate resolution,” but not an exoneration.

That decision pissed off Chicago law enforcement — and in August, Webb was appointed special prosecutor to investigate how the case was handled, and if there was any reason to renew charges.

A source connected to Jussie tells us, “The officers who re-investigated the case are the same ones who originally investigated it. These officers are currently being sued by Smollett. They have also spent taxpayer money on having these officers go to Los Angeles and harass members of Smollett’s team and friends.”

We’re told Jussie still maintains his innocence, and finds the timing of the indictment interesting — because Cook County State Attorney Kim Foxx is up for re-election next month. He plans to plead not guilty.

Jussie will be arraigned February 24. We’re told he faces up to 3 years in state prison if convicted.

You’ll recall, Jussie claimed he was attacked on a frigid night in Chicago by 2 white men who put a rope around his neck and doused him with bleach while yelling racial and homophobic slurs.

However, 2 black men — brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo — were eventually detained, and told police Jussie paid them to stage the whole attack.

After the new indictment, the Osundairos’ attorney, Gloria Schmidt, says they remain “fully committed to the public knowing the truth” about the so-called attack — and will cooperate with the investigation. However, they did not testify before the new grand jury. Instead, the panel relied on the brothers’ previous testimony.

Jussie’s attorney, Tina Glandian, is also questioning the timing of the indictment, saying, “the attempt to re-prosecute Mr. Smollett one year later on the eve of the Cook County State’s Attorney election is clearly all about politics not justice.”

She also says …  “After more than five months of investigation, the Office of the Special Prosecutor has not found any evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever related to the dismissal of the charges against Mr. Smollett. Rather, the charges were appropriately dismissed the first time because they were not supported by the evidence.”

Foxx’s campaign is calling out the timing of the special prosecutor’s announcement saying, “What’s questionable here is the James Comey-like timing of that charging decision, just 35 days before an election, which can only be interpreted as the further politicization of the judicial system, something voters in the era of Donald Trump should consider offensive.”

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check syndicated/local listings)

Continue Reading

Hate Incidents

Nevada Man Guilty in Plot to Shoot up Las Vegas LGBTQ Bar

Published

on

prosecution

LAS VEGAS (Los Angeles Blade) — Conor Climo pleaded guilty to planning to bomb a synagogue and a gay bar among other targets. A Nevada man pleaded guilty Monday in Las Vegas to a series of charges, including planning to shoot customers at an LGBTQ bar, the AP reported.

Conor Climo, 24, a self-described white supremacist, pleaded guilty to planning to bomb a synagogue or Anti-Defamation League office and to shoot up a gay bar and a fast-food restaurant.
He apparently shared his plans with an FBI informant during an encrypted online chat.

He also shared that he is a member of the Feuerkrieg Division, an offshoot of the Atomwaffen Division neo-Nazi group.

Climo pleaded guilty to felony possession of an unregistered firearm, the AP reported. He faces two to three years in prison at his sentencing […]

Continue reading at losangelesblade.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement

This Just In…

Trending