Connect with us
[the_ad id="4069195"]

Top News

Female Pedestrian Killed by Big Rig on Hauser

Published

on

The Los Angeles Fire Department is reporting that a woman was killed just after 1pm on Hauser by a Food-4-Less big rig truck.  Food4Less is the same company as Ralphs, both part of Kroger.

Area of acccident between big rig and pedestrian.

Hauser Blvd near Wilshire, where accident occurred.

The accident occurred at 675 S Hauser Bl, just north of Wilshire, near the Ralphs market and Park La Brea.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Natalie (@dizzydiver on Twitter) told us that “traffic is still being allowed to go down Masselin. Wilshire is closed between Hauser and Masselin. Most traffic is being sent to 6th Street.”

She also reports that they finally covered up the body, more than an hour after the accident.

If you have additional details about the incident, please let us know with a comment below.

27 Comments

27 Comments

1. Natalie

June 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM

For those in the area, traffic is still being allowed to go down Masselin but obviously Wilshire is closed between Hauser and Masselin and most traffic is being sent down 8th st.

2. Natalie

June 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM

excuse me, 6th street, not 8th

3. Kristi

June 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I work in the highrise building at this intersection. These details are all we know as well. Traffic is backing up, so please detour around Wilshire Blvd. From my 16th floor office window, I can hear people honking. So sad.

4. Anonymous

June 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM

It was a Food 4 Less Truck

5. scott

June 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I was there and saw it happen, I ran over to help but there was nothing to be done. So very sad. I cant get the image out of head. I am in a daze.

6. Los Angeles Fire Department

June 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Scott,

Thank you for rushing to the aid of a stranger in need. Such a selfless act speaks volumes of your character. You may benefit from support or counseling. Please consider calling 2-1-1 to find services near you and available at no or little cost.

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
    Firefighter/Specialist
    Public Service Officer
    Los Angeles Fire Department

7. David

June 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I was right at the intersection when it happened talking to my friend. We thought it was just a fender-bender, but very soon realized there was a life-less body underneath the truck.

It was terrible. The police was there within couple of minutes and they covered her face. A bit later fire truck came and covered her body, it was not uncovered for an hour. I could not go back to work after that and am still in haze.

I believe she was dead immediately. RIP

8. Brian

June 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I work in the area and could see the scene from our balcony over a block away. This is really sad. As a pedestrian you must stay alert at all times, do not think that because a light is in your favor or you are in between painted white lines you are safe. When I was a child I remember my dad telling to look around that while a pedestrian on the street you are a “visitor” and that the cars really own the space. If you keep alert while in the street, it is almost impossible to get run down. I am not defending bad discourteous drivers, but if you are involved as a pedestrian with a vehicle, guess who always wins? Stay alert…stay safe.

9. David

June 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Yep, you are right, this one was so bizarre though – the truck was waiting to finish a left turn from Wilshire and she somehow got stuck under it – as he did not see her. Some people yelled at him, but it was too late, everything happened in a split second, she did not even scream out.

10. JJ

June 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Just awful. I was the first one stopped at the light as the truck turned on to my street (Hauser), but I didn’t see the impact, only the response of onlookers and the poor mangled woman. Really heart-breaking. I saw the cop arrive and a considerate female passerby cover the face with her jacket to at least conceal her head. There was another guy who was actually filming the victim on his iphone if you can believe it — disgusting. She was definitely dead by the time the truck left the intersection. I wish the local news would have given more information, but they didn’t even mention it.

11. admin

June 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Thanks to all of you who witnessed this for finding your way here to share your thoughts and feelings. I’m very sorry that you had to experience this. My heart goes out to the woman’s family as well. If anyone has details on who she was, please do post it. All we know right now is that it was a woman, no idea on her age or anything else. One of the primary reasons I started Weho Daily was to bring awareness to the very many pedestrians who are hit on streets in our area to hopefully help bring about changes to save lives.

12. still reeling

June 11, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I work in the area as well. We went out to go to Ralphs and saw the woman in the street. Apparently everything happened so fast. I feel for her family and the people who witnessed this horrible tradgedy. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am going to be way more careful as I cross the street from now on!

13. Natalie

June 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM

sorry from my office on the 8th floor it didn’t look like they covered the poor lady’s body until they put the tent up. I am sorry that I was mistaken and I’m glad that there were considerate people like some of you who have posted here who tried to help and cover her up. At least it happened quickly and she wasn’t in pain. She is in my prayers, that’s for sure

14. R

June 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I live on Hauser about half a block from Ralphs. I cross that intersection every day. Today there is a memorial of flowers and candles there, a sobering reminder of how fragile life is.

I read on another blog that a bus driver witnessed the accident and said she tried to cross the intersection diagonally. Whether this is true or not, it’s a good time to remind people to obey the traffic signals. They don’t guarantee you’ll be safe, but they sure increase the odds.

15. anonymous

June 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM

The accident was at the intersection of Hauser and Wilshire. I witnessed the incident from right after she was struck, until they took her body away. I called 911 and a police officer drove up as i was on the phone. When her head was covered, I knew she was already deceased. I am quite traumatized and so sad and sorry for her and her friends/family. I have been hearing rumors on who she was exactly, and how it happened but I don’t want to write something that is not true. I believe she was a local to the area. Does anyone have anymore information on who she was or if her family is near? I feel immensely for the driver as well, and I hope he/she is receiving therapy to deal with this. I pray this woman is now in a better place.

16. Annoymous

June 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I am a driver for Ralphs Grocery, and have delivered to this store many times. I first want to extend my symphaty to the friends and family of the deceased woman. I am also friends with the driver involved in this accident. I have not had a chance to speak with him yet, but just to let eveyone know he is a good driver and a hard working responsible person. I am sure this will affect him for a long time to come. Please keep him in your prayers also.

17. D

June 11, 2010 at 11:53 PM

The big rig driver stopped right on Hauser and I did not look to see who came out of it. But there was a young guy in a green Tshirt walking around with horror look on his face, so I presumed it was the driver. He was having an out of body experience….it was terrifying just seeing that.

I am still thinking about it every 2minutes. If you find out who the lady was, please post it. It seems so wrong to witness someones dying, yet not know who she was or know who to pray for….

18. alan cohen

June 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I’d like to know who was at fault and what the woman’s name was.

19. rags

June 15, 2010 at 3:02 AM

i’ve heard a few stories from people in the neighborhood. i didn’t work that day ( thank goodness) i’ve heard she crossed the street diagonally and many cars swerved not to hit her. the poor food for less guy didn’t see her , because she wasn’t where any pedestrian should have been. i heard the driver was really crying. this poor man will have to live with this for the rest of his life.
    my sympathy goes to her family . Godspeed.

20. Hillary

July 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I saw this tragic accident also, and I still can’t get it out of my mind. So sad for this poor woman. I just don’t understand how the driver of the big rig couldn’t see her in the middle of the intersection before it was too late…

21. your name...

July 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Just to let everyone know the investigation turned out to be a suicide. The driver was not charged and will not be. This woman was running in front of other cars trying to get hit before she ran under the back wheels of the semi.

The driver is taking this very hard and has been off from his job since this tragedy. One needs to consider how it will affect the other person they use to terminate their own life before their plan this action. I pray for this womans family as well as the driver of the semi!

22. JJ

July 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Where did you find that information?

23. your name...

July 23, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I know the driver!

24. alan

July 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM

What was the womans’ name?

25. alison

July 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

yes, can someone from the Fire Dept or Police Dept please publish some information on this? strange that we can’t find any details on who she was or anything.

26. anonomys

August 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM

My aunt works by ralphs and she told me that she was crossing the street and a car hit her and she was on the floor hurt. And the semi truck came and ran over her head and died instantlly. That’s how he didn’t see her because she bwas on the ground rip lady

27. Steve

July 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Her name was Margaret Rosenberg. Today would have been her 75th birthday. She is a friend of mines Aunt. This is a terrible tragedy and I’m not sure where the “suicide” rumor came from but I don’t believe there is any truth to it. Very sad.

Business

RAGE is Latest Venue to Fall Victim to the Pandemic

Published

on

Another LGBTQ+ Nightlife Destination Has Fallen Victim to the Pandemic

WEST HOLLYWOOD (L.A. Magazine) — Rage nightclub has been a destination for LGBTQ+ nightlife in the bustling Santa Monica Boulevard corridor of West Hollywood for decades. Now, nearly 40 years after first opening its doors, the club has announced it has permanently closed, yet another local business to collapse amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Rage nightclub management lays some portion of the blame on their landlord, Monte Overstreet. The club’s now-former general manager, Ron Madrill, told Q Voice News that rent for the location was already “very high” prior to operations shutting down in March. He says he believes an impasse over rent payments may have contributed to Rage’s closure.

Overstreet also reportedly owns the space formerly occupied by neighboring bar Flaming Saddles Saloon, which also announced […]

Continue reading at www.lamag.com

Continue Reading

Top News

LAPD Hollywood Arrests Serial Identity Theft Suspect

Published

on

HOLLYWOOD — Los Angeles Police Department Hollywood Burglary/Theft detectives have announced the arrest of Raj Weaver-Bey of Arleta for Identity Theft and are urging anyone with information about these or other crimes involving the suspect to come forward.

During a relationship with a victim, Weaver-Bey stole her ATM card after obtaining the PIN without the victim’s knowledge.  He then used the card to purchase laptop computers and money orders without the victim’s permission. Weaver-Bey was convicted of a similar crime in Santa Barbara in 2018.

Raj Weaver-Bey

Detectives arrested Weaver-Bey on April 9, 2020.  When he was detained, Weaver-Bey had two ATM cards and several fraudulent checks.  Both owners of the cards told detectives they had recently been the victims of identity theft and theft by use of access card. One of the victims further stated an unknown suspect had deposited fake checks into her account and immediately withdrew cash before the checks cleared, causing a negative account balance.

Anyone with information is urged to call Hollywood Burglary Detective Brian Richardson at (213) 972-2929 or email him at 36402@lapd.online.  During non-business hours, or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247).

Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call the LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or go directly to www.lacrimestoppers.org. Tipsters may also visit www.lapdonline.org, and click on “Anonymous Web Tips” under the “Get Involved-Crime Stoppers” menu to submit an online tip. Lastly, tipsters may also download the “P3 Tips” mobile application and select the LA Regional Crime Stoppers as their local program.

Continue Reading

Health

‘Safer at Home’ Extended to May 15, Face Covers Required in Public

Published

on

Barbara Ferrer

LOS ANGELES — Today, Los Angeles County issued a new Health Officer Order to extend the stipulation in the previous Health Officer Order through May 15, 2020. The Order also requires essential businesses to provide a cloth face covering for all of their employees to wear while performing duties that involve contact with other employees and or the public and to post their physical distancing plans.

“Recent data modeling done in partnership with the Department of Health Services and UCLA suggests that our collective distancing efforts are working and that we must continue to stay home whenever possible,” said Barbara Ferrer, PhD, MPH, MEd, Director of Public Health. “The updated Health Officer Order extends ‘Safer at Home’ through May 15, and enhances measures that will protect employees who are working in essential services.”

The public is also required to wear a face covering to enter essential businesses.  All public and private gatherings of any number of people occurring outside a single household or living unit remain prohibited.  Beaches, trails and trailheads and non-essential businesses remain closed. It is critical that everyone continue to take these actions to slow the spread of COVID-19. The Order allows essential businesses to implement the new measures by April 15.

“Our community is embracing Safer at Home orders and is doing everything it can to flatten the curve,” said West Hollywood Mayor John D’Amico. “The revised order from LA County extends the stay-at-home timeline to mid May. Even though that seems like a long time – because I think it’s already April 97th – I want to encourage everyone in West Hollywood and say loud-and-clear: we can do this and we must stick with it. Humor and creativity will help: let’s all take a fashion challenge and ‘Cover That Face!’ with our fabulous homemade bandanas and scarves and we’ll each be doing our part to help protect ourselves and one another. Together we will defeat the coronavirus.”

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health also on Friday confirmed 18 new deaths and 475 new cases of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Over the last 48 hours, there have been 900 new cases. Ten people who died were over the age of 65; seven people between the ages of 41 to 65 years old and one person between the ages of 18 to 40 years old. One death was reported by the City of Long Beach and one death by the City of Pasadena.

There have been 101 confirmed cases confirmed in West Hollywood

To date, Public Health has identified 8,430 cases across all areas of LA County, including 241 deaths.  Upon further investigation, 22 cases and two deaths reported earlier were not LA County residents. As of today, 2,043 people who tested positive for COVID-19 (24% of positive cases) have been hospitalized at some point during their illness. Testing capacity continues to increase in LA county, with almost 40,700 individuals tested and 15% of people testing positive.

DHS also released its COVID-19 Hospital Demand Modeling Projections showing that physical distancing is slowing the rate of COVID-19 transmission in the county. The projections indicate that if current levels of physical distancing are not maintained, there will be an exponential rapid increase in the rate of infection, severely hampering the ability of the hospital system to meet that demand.

The insights from this modeling effort in large part informed the County of Los Angeles Dept. of Public Health’s decision to extend the ‘Safer at Home’ order until May 15, 2020.

“Physical distancing has ‘flattened the curve’ by slowing the rate of transmission of the virus.  Because of this, our healthcare system is able to meet the demand for treatment for COVID-19 patients, providing quality lifesaving services to all those who need them,” DHS Director Dr. Christina Ghaly said. “However, we need to remember that while, yes, transmission is slowing, we are still on a growth curve, and thus need to maintain the public health interventions in place. Physical distancing is the single biggest action we can take to continue to fight this virus. If we went back to life as normal today, by late summer the vast majority of Los Angeles County residents would likely have experienced infection with the virus, putting excessive strain on the healthcare system.”

The modeling team was tasked with taking available data and making the best possible predictions regarding the spread of COVID-19 in Los Angeles County and associated demand for hospital-based care including hospital beds, intensive care unit (ICU) beds, and ventilators. The team assessed the effectiveness of current physical distancing efforts in slowing the spread of COVID-19 and “flattening the curve.”

The predictive analysis which models the impending surge provides a depiction of the best- and worst-case scenarios for Los Angeles should physical distancing efforts continue and to what degree. The model projects that if we reverted to pre-order physical distancing behavior now, by August 1, 95.6% of Los Angeles County residents will likely have been infected over the course of the pandemic. Under this worst-case scenario, Los Angeles County would face an infection rate at such magnitude that the healthcare system would not be able to treat patients who need hospitalization, underscoring the need to continue to maintain current levels of physical distancing.

Total Cases*
Laboratory Confirmed Cases 8430
— Los Angeles County (excl. LB and Pas)8020
— Long Beach303
— Pasadena107
Deaths241
— Los Angeles County (excl. LB and Pas)228
— Long Beach8
— Pasadena5
Age Group (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  0 to 1784
–  18 to 402617
–  41 to 653561
–  over 651730
–  Under Investigation28
Gender (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Male4013
–  Female3768
–  Other2
–  Under Investigation237
Race/Ethnicity (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Asian526
–  Black429
–  Hispanic/Latino1621
–  White1292
–  Other655
–  Under Investigation3497
Hospitalization (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Hospitalized (Ever)2043
Deaths Race/Ethnicity (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Asian38
Unincorporated – White Fence Farms00
Unincorporated – Whittier
Unincorporated – Whittier Narrows00
Unincorporated – Willowbrook2057.29
Unincorporated – Wiseburn
–  Under Investigation628

*These numbers are subject to change based on further investigation. Twenty-two previously reported cases and two deaths were not in Public Health’s jurisdiction

**– means that case numbers are suppressed (between 1 and 4 cases in communities <25,000 people).

***Rate is crude and is per 100,000.

Continue Reading