Connect with us

Top News

Derrick Gardner Passes Away after Hit by Car

Published

on

It appears that Derrick Gardner, the 22 year old young man that was hit by a car last week in West Hollywood, has passed away.

Derrick Gardner

We feel terrible about the previous news we reported that turned out to be incorrect, but now we are hearing from Bobby Trendy that he passed away at 2:45am this morning.   Bobby was with him yesterday and overnight.

Derrick was being cared for at the Sapperstein Critical Care  Tower at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, according to Bobby.

We received another email in the early morning hours from someone else close to Derrick but, perhaps due to the grief, the message wasn’t clear.

The accident occurred at San Vicente and Rangely, just south of Melrose Avenue, on Thursday, July 1.   The area has been trying to get a crosswalk installed near that location for years.

Derrick Gardner in his photo from Facebook

Derrick’s mother said in an email to WehoConfidential:

I just want to Thank you all for your kind words. I will update all of you. Derrick came into the Hospital Thursday after being hit by a car..His injuries were so servere he was instantly in a coma on scene. They did surgery as his brain was so swollen. They took off his left side of his skull to try and relieve pressu…re. The truth is he was gone and they couldn’t do anything. We sit here waiting for him to pass. Please keep all the great memories of Derrick alive and not the negative ones. He wasn’t perfect but he was loved by many. The family has not set up any donations for him just yet to help with the funeral cost so if asked for a donation please know We did not set this up.

We are gathering information to follow up to this post with an obituary.  If you knew Derrick, please contact us using the “contact us” to let us know information about him, or post in the comments section below.

Read our original post on the accident

Continue Reading
32 Comments

32 Comments

1. David

July 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Bobby Trendy, he’s old enough to be his dad.

2. Brian Hamilton

July 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

3. jeffrey

July 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Can you please take that rude nasty remark below about Bobby Trendy> It’s a tasteless remark from a nasty bitter queen at a time like this or any other time your piece of trash scumbag!

4. bobby trendy

July 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Re :david
    I was there for Derrick IN THE HOSPITAL for 14 hours
    Where were you?

5. Neal

July 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Derrick’s death is a real tragedy. He worked for me when he was living in Maine. He was always a kind, caring, and fun person. The world is a much sadder place without him. His friends will always remember his great smile and enthusiasm. We will miss him very much. My sincere condolences to his family. How sad!

6. Michael Cala

July 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Wow. For real? He was a good guy. Big loss.

7. Joshua Beane

July 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I knew Derrick when he was living in Portland, ME about 2 or 3 years ago. He was the sweetest, most energetic person I had met in a long time….my heart and tears for you and your loved ones Derrick…you were to young to be taken like that….

8. Christopher Parker

July 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Very sad, he had a wonderful charisma about him..
    we were friends here in Maine..
    I am so sorry to hear of his passing and my deepest sympathy to his family.. what a tragic way to go..

9. David

July 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Something tells me you’ll be dancing across the night stars, with that big grin plastered all over your face ……. will miss you kid.

10. joseph

July 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM

we have been friends for years and I am shocked that your gone. I remember so many good times and adventures we had. When I saw that you had passed I was in shock. I am still having a hard time believing your gone. You weren’t just a beautiful person you had a beautiful soul, ill miss you greatly.

11. Bob in Maine

July 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM

My heartfelt condolances to Derrick’s family. He was a shining star who burned vibrantly and brightly and, like that star, he streaked thru our lives all too quickly.
    If I may be of any help with anything whatsoever, have someone contact me and I’ll send my phone number and then just tell me what you need done and I assure you it will get done. Again, a truly kind, dear, funny and beautiful person has left us heartsick but with memories that will only appreciate with the gift and grace of time. Peace be with you all.
    Bob

12. Bob in Maine

July 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM

My God! Not that it matters, to David and Bobby; STOP IT! What the he’ll is wrong with the two of you. If you want to argue, go right ahead… But find another place to do it. Class: not something you can buy; you either have it or you don’t. You should both be ashamed. I know I am for both of you.

13. The Leader Bobby Trendy

July 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Re:Bob In Maine
    Bob theres nothing wrong with me.
    I opine thers something wrong with you- some one who’s upset with his life living a life of frivolity and pontifcating comments with unintended consequence,Bob I was there at the hospital for Derrick all day sunday through out the nite holding his hand. While others just posted on their face books and others sites..I saw most of those queens at the club last nite which is ten lites further from westhollywood when the hospital he was in was only two lights down the street. Bob will do you me a have favor and just kiss my ass? Thanx
    Bobby Trendy

14. Tammy Johnson

July 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Can you PLEASE stop the arguing. With the loss of my nephew Derrick, our family has enough to go through without all the added DRAMA. I want to thank everyone of you that had kind words to say about my nephew and the rest of you .. take your drama elsewhere. It’s time to grow up and realise that this is our time to grieve Derrick .. not make a mockery of his precious memories. I love you Derrick and you will always be with me.

15. John Smith

July 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM

RIP

16. MEG

July 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I didn’t know you Derrick but I did know of you. Too young to be gone so soon. No more pain and struggle for you now and may you rest with God. My heart hurts for your Mom and your family as I am a Mother and I have a son who is around your age and can’t imagine life without him in it. RIP and god bless.

17. Marcus

July 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Well said Tammy.
    My thoughts and heartfelt prayers go out to Derrick’s family in this tragic time of their lives. Remember Derrick fondly and he will always be with you, always.

18. Joshua

July 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I am very sorry to ask this as I know that it is all still so new and the pain is still great (I am feeling it), but will there be a memorial service held here in Maine where Derrick was from? I know many people here that would like nothing more then to pay their respects…myself included. Please contact me is anyone has any further information….RIP Derrick, we love you!!! (joshuabeane2481@gmail.com)

19. Amandah

July 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM

R.I.P. Derrick, we love you and will never forget you.

20. Kayla Gardner lil sis

July 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

im Kayla Gardner derricks lil sis. my family thanks every one who loved him. but i will say one thing David u need to leave my family alone do ont contact me or my family not here or on facebook or our cellphones just leave us alone..we are going thro alot right now and just knowing ill never see my big brother ever again hurts like u would never know.. You are the devil tring to get between my family and we have god on our side and HE will NOT let u in..

21. Marcus

July 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Kayla,

What is David’s last name?

22. John Ayres

July 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Derrick was a fun sprit at all the clubs and will be very very missed. As Far you Bobby Trendy haters goe- its seems that when tragedy surmounts Bobby comes through-seems to everyone he was the only one who was in the hospital and cared enough to visit while others just posted online messages..I rememeber when Kiwi and Hunter died in 2007 what how his generous pocket book spoke and how he came forward…Even cleaned up thier apts and sent belongings back to family memebers..Alot is said just for visting a person who is laying down in my opinion…I live wayyy in palmsprings now..if any thing should happen I know at least one person will come see me.RIP Derrick

23. Cousin from Maine

July 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

It seems like just the other day you were here and we were cheering and i always showed you the tricks that i could do and pretend i was all cool, then you would show off and do more things that i couldn’t do haha 🙂 I remember I always used too see you because you worked and Friendly’s like the rest of the clan! Its so sad to here about this tragic accident, we all miss you here in Auburn, Maine Derrick 🙁

24. Aunt Bonny

July 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Carrie & Family
    I am so sorry to here about your loss , Derrick meant allot to everyone! He was the sweetest kid, No matter how old he got he still would give me a hug when he saw me and always call me ant Bonny it was the cutest thing! i was talking to some people at Friendly’s who worked with him and they all remember his smile and how he would love to make them smile, He was a great person! and what a CHEERLEADER he made! I use to love to see him tumble! He will be missed
    My family sends their deepest sympathy ,

Are you having a service in Maine?

25. Randy

July 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Derrick, I was your Monday night dj at Styxx in Maine. I still cannot believe you’re gone. You were such a bright, shining star. My best to your family, and may you rest in peace my friend.

26. Anonymous

July 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Derrick, I’m going to keep this anonymous. I wish this wasn’t real. I’ll never forget you, you were so sweet and it would have been wonderful to have had all the time to have gotten to know you better.
    My heartfelt sympathy to your family. You should all know, Derrick had a light in him, gleaming eyes, indescribable charm and the sweet nature of youth. Remember him.

27. Eric Littleton

July 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Rest In Peace
    Love & Miss You
    Wish I could Have been there to protect you like you always protected me.
    You were an amazing person Inside and out & an amazing Boyfriend sorry I left.
    See you one day again in Heaven

28. Daniel R

July 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM

You truly were someone that had a gift. The kind you either have or you dont. You had it. I dont think you even knew you had it. I saw it and hoped you would also see it one day. It sadens me that this happened to you. It breaks my heart. Robert, Ryan, JJ and now you.
    You made me laugh, You understood me. The past always remembered and cherished. Till we meet again

29. Candace Kirkland

November 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I will always remember him as a tall sexy man with the face of a model body of a god. He did the best makeup I ever seen.XOXO

30. Trej Burrell

June 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

hey derrick…if your reading this,then you already know what I’m bout to write …and how I feel….I barelly knew you…and I thank god for at least letting me have a chance to meet you…God works in mysterious ways and he ALWAYS place certain people in your life to shape you, learn from and make you the person we are today….everything happens for a reason…your departure wasnt a fair reason…BUT GOD MAKES NO MISTAKES!!! HE AN AWESOME AND OPEN MINDED GOD, THERE IS NOTHING!!!!!! ON THIS PLANET!!!!! THAT GOD HAS NO UNDERSTANDING FOR!!! and god forgive those who were close to Derrick for their outwrong judgemental outburst,especially on a time like this, were human, and you gave us the power to grieve with no understanding….i had fun being apart of that music video with you, los angeles was so overwhelming to me, im a little city boy trying to make it in the big city, and you were so eager to show me around L.A., the ends and outs, where to go and not.lol….that video may not have that much exposure, but I see now that the time was irreplacable and Im grateful now for what it was….Im an aspiring actor, and though I’ve just started, this journey has taken me through so much and Ive met so many other people who have the same dreams as me..and sometimes i had to watch them come to an end….Derrick, I’m doing this for us!!!! watch over me bro, give me the wisdom to choose from right and wrong, dont let me fall into drugs or the fall into the fakeness that this career brings!!!…I’ll never forget you!!!

31. Momma B

June 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He was a special person and close friend – unfortunately there were some circumstances that grew us apart. We were sidekicks who traveled across the US and had one hell of a time. He was an amazing young man and I hope that a movie is done about him.

32. Travis

July 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

a friend of mine was very close to him and was wondering if anyone knows where he is buried. would me a lot if i could find out for him. If someone could email me or post something back on here please… [moderator edit: removed email so Travis doesn’t get it caught up by spambots – please post that info here]

Affordable Housing

LA LGBT Senior Services Affordable Housing Event -Feb 21

Published

on

PLUMMER PARK — The Los Angeles LGBT Center has a new development in senior housing, and are offering info and answering questions about 98 new affordable and accessible units -tomorrow at Plummer Park. The development, located at 1127 N Las Palmas, Los Angeles CA 90038, will be open in fall 2020, brought to us in part by Thomas Safran and Associates.

The Center’s case managers are experts at helping seniors navigate the complex world of Social Security, Medicare, affordable housing, and more. Please join them and learn about how to grab one of these apartments and what what services they offer for veteran and disabled community members.

Applications will be available Feb. 26-March 4.

More information about the housing at mccaddencampus.com

RSVP for Senior Services events through the Senior Services Portal (seniors.lalgbtcenter.org).

The Center’s website states “The LGBT Center is a safe and welcoming place where individuals of all ages can find help, as well as hope and support, when they need it the most…From housing homeless youth to providing affordable housing for seniors—and from helping transgender people find employment to providing legal support for asylum seekers—no organization serves more LGBT people than the Center.”

Check their calendar for upcoming activities and events that include:

• Health and wellness programs
  • Enrichment classes (computer, writing, dancing, acting, photograph, etc.)
  • Monthly dinners and social networking opportunities
  • Cultural excursions (theater, opera, museums, etc.)
  • Educational seminars and workshop
  • Senior-Youth Photo Project
  • Senior-Youth Dinners

More info about the center at lalgbtcenter.org

Continue Reading

California

Impeachment Role Makes Schiff a Top Prospect for Senate

Published

on

CALIFORNIA (Ukiah Daily Journal) –It’s been clear for several years, that U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff would love to run for the U.S. Senate. So would California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, best known as a constant irritant for President Trump, and several others.

But Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and the chief prosecutor in Trump’s impeachment trial, has a big leg up on his competition because of his months in the national limelight managing the effort to oust a president for the first time ever.

If running an impeachment effort should propel Schiff into the Senate, it would be a ironic sign of the massive changes California politics has seen over the last 25 years.

The congressman would likely have run for the Senate two years ago if veteran Sen. Dianne Feinstein, then 84, […]

Continue reading at ukiahdailyjournal.com

Continue Reading

Art & Galleries

‘afroLAtinidad: mi casa, my city’ Exhibit Opens in Los Angeles Feb 22

Published

on

LOS ANGELES — LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes (LA Plaza) presents “afroLAtinidad: mi casa, my city,” an exhibition that explores the history and contemporary realities of the Afro-Latinx community in Los Angeles.

It will exclusively feature personal objects and art from LA’s Afro-Latinx community and invites audiences of all backgrounds to understand this long-standing and vibrant history. The exhibition will be on view February 22 through July 20.

afroLAtinidad: mi casa, my city is the first exhibition at a major institution examining the history and contemporary experience of Afrolatinidad in Los Angeles.

The exhibition will be installed in LA Plaza’s 1,000 foot, 2 first floor gallery and will feature a recreation of an Afro-Latinx home, complete with personal objects, photographs, art, and digital media.

“afroLAtinidad: mi casa, my city is co-curated by Walter Thompson-Hernández and Mariah Berlanga-Shevchuk, and advised by Samantha Blake Goodman, La Mikia Castillo, Mike Davis, Kimberly Drew, Kelly Lytle Hernández, Tanya Melendez, and Kaelyn Rodriguez. The exhibition is designed by Aviva Rubin.

The exhibition will explore the presence of Los Angeles’s Afro-Latinx community, beginning with the pre-American founding of LA by the pobladores, a group of settlers of mixed African, Indigenous, and Spanish descent. It will continue with the contemporary experiences of residents identifying as Black and Latinx, in the many forms that can take.

The Afro-Latinx community represented in the exhibition includes Latin Americans of African descent, as well as those of mixed African-American or Black and Latinx heritage. Visitors will have the opportunity to explore cultural touchpoints that are assumed to be Latinx but are in fact of African origin.

Objects on view will include paintings, ceramic art, family photographs and video installations, as well as personal mementos, including musical instruments, devotional objects, clothing, jewelry, hand-written recipes, and a home-made plantain grinder made of washing machine parts.

The exhibition also includes contemporary artwork and videos by June Canedo, Wayne Perry, Patrick Martinez, Carolyn Castaño, Nery Gabriel Lemus, and more.

When: February 22, 2020 – July 20, 2020 Hours: M, W, & Th, 12-5 pm, Fri-Sun 12-6 pm
Where: LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, 501 North Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Admission is free.

PHOTO: Esperanza Bandera with her mother Rosie Dominguez and father Rafael Bandera, ca. 1993. Courtesy of Esperanza Bander

Continue Reading