Connect with us
[the_ad id="4069195"]

Top News

Derrick Gardner Passes Away after Hit by Car

Published

on

It appears that Derrick Gardner, the 22 year old young man that was hit by a car last week in West Hollywood, has passed away.

Derrick Gardner

We feel terrible about the previous news we reported that turned out to be incorrect, but now we are hearing from Bobby Trendy that he passed away at 2:45am this morning.   Bobby was with him yesterday and overnight.

Derrick was being cared for at the Sapperstein Critical Care  Tower at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, according to Bobby.

We received another email in the early morning hours from someone else close to Derrick but, perhaps due to the grief, the message wasn’t clear.

The accident occurred at San Vicente and Rangely, just south of Melrose Avenue, on Thursday, July 1.   The area has been trying to get a crosswalk installed near that location for years.

Derrick Gardner in his photo from Facebook

Derrick’s mother said in an email to WehoConfidential:

I just want to Thank you all for your kind words. I will update all of you. Derrick came into the Hospital Thursday after being hit by a car..His injuries were so servere he was instantly in a coma on scene. They did surgery as his brain was so swollen. They took off his left side of his skull to try and relieve pressu…re. The truth is he was gone and they couldn’t do anything. We sit here waiting for him to pass. Please keep all the great memories of Derrick alive and not the negative ones. He wasn’t perfect but he was loved by many. The family has not set up any donations for him just yet to help with the funeral cost so if asked for a donation please know We did not set this up.

We are gathering information to follow up to this post with an obituary.  If you knew Derrick, please contact us using the “contact us” to let us know information about him, or post in the comments section below.

Read our original post on the accident

32 Comments

32 Comments

1. David

July 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Bobby Trendy, he’s old enough to be his dad.

2. Brian Hamilton

July 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

3. jeffrey

July 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Can you please take that rude nasty remark below about Bobby Trendy> It’s a tasteless remark from a nasty bitter queen at a time like this or any other time your piece of trash scumbag!

4. bobby trendy

July 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Re :david
    I was there for Derrick IN THE HOSPITAL for 14 hours
    Where were you?

5. Neal

July 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Derrick’s death is a real tragedy. He worked for me when he was living in Maine. He was always a kind, caring, and fun person. The world is a much sadder place without him. His friends will always remember his great smile and enthusiasm. We will miss him very much. My sincere condolences to his family. How sad!

6. Michael Cala

July 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Wow. For real? He was a good guy. Big loss.

7. Joshua Beane

July 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I knew Derrick when he was living in Portland, ME about 2 or 3 years ago. He was the sweetest, most energetic person I had met in a long time….my heart and tears for you and your loved ones Derrick…you were to young to be taken like that….

8. Christopher Parker

July 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Very sad, he had a wonderful charisma about him..
    we were friends here in Maine..
    I am so sorry to hear of his passing and my deepest sympathy to his family.. what a tragic way to go..

9. David

July 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Something tells me you’ll be dancing across the night stars, with that big grin plastered all over your face ……. will miss you kid.

10. joseph

July 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM

we have been friends for years and I am shocked that your gone. I remember so many good times and adventures we had. When I saw that you had passed I was in shock. I am still having a hard time believing your gone. You weren’t just a beautiful person you had a beautiful soul, ill miss you greatly.

11. Bob in Maine

July 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM

My heartfelt condolances to Derrick’s family. He was a shining star who burned vibrantly and brightly and, like that star, he streaked thru our lives all too quickly.
    If I may be of any help with anything whatsoever, have someone contact me and I’ll send my phone number and then just tell me what you need done and I assure you it will get done. Again, a truly kind, dear, funny and beautiful person has left us heartsick but with memories that will only appreciate with the gift and grace of time. Peace be with you all.
    Bob

12. Bob in Maine

July 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM

My God! Not that it matters, to David and Bobby; STOP IT! What the he’ll is wrong with the two of you. If you want to argue, go right ahead… But find another place to do it. Class: not something you can buy; you either have it or you don’t. You should both be ashamed. I know I am for both of you.

13. The Leader Bobby Trendy

July 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Re:Bob In Maine
    Bob theres nothing wrong with me.
    I opine thers something wrong with you- some one who’s upset with his life living a life of frivolity and pontifcating comments with unintended consequence,Bob I was there at the hospital for Derrick all day sunday through out the nite holding his hand. While others just posted on their face books and others sites..I saw most of those queens at the club last nite which is ten lites further from westhollywood when the hospital he was in was only two lights down the street. Bob will do you me a have favor and just kiss my ass? Thanx
    Bobby Trendy

14. Tammy Johnson

July 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Can you PLEASE stop the arguing. With the loss of my nephew Derrick, our family has enough to go through without all the added DRAMA. I want to thank everyone of you that had kind words to say about my nephew and the rest of you .. take your drama elsewhere. It’s time to grow up and realise that this is our time to grieve Derrick .. not make a mockery of his precious memories. I love you Derrick and you will always be with me.

15. John Smith

July 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM

RIP

16. MEG

July 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I didn’t know you Derrick but I did know of you. Too young to be gone so soon. No more pain and struggle for you now and may you rest with God. My heart hurts for your Mom and your family as I am a Mother and I have a son who is around your age and can’t imagine life without him in it. RIP and god bless.

17. Marcus

July 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Well said Tammy.
    My thoughts and heartfelt prayers go out to Derrick’s family in this tragic time of their lives. Remember Derrick fondly and he will always be with you, always.

18. Joshua

July 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I am very sorry to ask this as I know that it is all still so new and the pain is still great (I am feeling it), but will there be a memorial service held here in Maine where Derrick was from? I know many people here that would like nothing more then to pay their respects…myself included. Please contact me is anyone has any further information….RIP Derrick, we love you!!! (joshuabeane2481@gmail.com)

19. Amandah

July 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM

R.I.P. Derrick, we love you and will never forget you.

20. Kayla Gardner lil sis

July 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

im Kayla Gardner derricks lil sis. my family thanks every one who loved him. but i will say one thing David u need to leave my family alone do ont contact me or my family not here or on facebook or our cellphones just leave us alone..we are going thro alot right now and just knowing ill never see my big brother ever again hurts like u would never know.. You are the devil tring to get between my family and we have god on our side and HE will NOT let u in..

21. Marcus

July 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Kayla,

What is David’s last name?

22. John Ayres

July 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Derrick was a fun sprit at all the clubs and will be very very missed. As Far you Bobby Trendy haters goe- its seems that when tragedy surmounts Bobby comes through-seems to everyone he was the only one who was in the hospital and cared enough to visit while others just posted online messages..I rememeber when Kiwi and Hunter died in 2007 what how his generous pocket book spoke and how he came forward…Even cleaned up thier apts and sent belongings back to family memebers..Alot is said just for visting a person who is laying down in my opinion…I live wayyy in palmsprings now..if any thing should happen I know at least one person will come see me.RIP Derrick

23. Cousin from Maine

July 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

It seems like just the other day you were here and we were cheering and i always showed you the tricks that i could do and pretend i was all cool, then you would show off and do more things that i couldn’t do haha 🙂 I remember I always used too see you because you worked and Friendly’s like the rest of the clan! Its so sad to here about this tragic accident, we all miss you here in Auburn, Maine Derrick 🙁

24. Aunt Bonny

July 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Carrie & Family
    I am so sorry to here about your loss , Derrick meant allot to everyone! He was the sweetest kid, No matter how old he got he still would give me a hug when he saw me and always call me ant Bonny it was the cutest thing! i was talking to some people at Friendly’s who worked with him and they all remember his smile and how he would love to make them smile, He was a great person! and what a CHEERLEADER he made! I use to love to see him tumble! He will be missed
    My family sends their deepest sympathy ,

Are you having a service in Maine?

25. Randy

July 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Derrick, I was your Monday night dj at Styxx in Maine. I still cannot believe you’re gone. You were such a bright, shining star. My best to your family, and may you rest in peace my friend.

26. Anonymous

July 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Derrick, I’m going to keep this anonymous. I wish this wasn’t real. I’ll never forget you, you were so sweet and it would have been wonderful to have had all the time to have gotten to know you better.
    My heartfelt sympathy to your family. You should all know, Derrick had a light in him, gleaming eyes, indescribable charm and the sweet nature of youth. Remember him.

27. Eric Littleton

July 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Rest In Peace
    Love & Miss You
    Wish I could Have been there to protect you like you always protected me.
    You were an amazing person Inside and out & an amazing Boyfriend sorry I left.
    See you one day again in Heaven

28. Daniel R

July 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM

You truly were someone that had a gift. The kind you either have or you dont. You had it. I dont think you even knew you had it. I saw it and hoped you would also see it one day. It sadens me that this happened to you. It breaks my heart. Robert, Ryan, JJ and now you.
    You made me laugh, You understood me. The past always remembered and cherished. Till we meet again

29. Candace Kirkland

November 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I will always remember him as a tall sexy man with the face of a model body of a god. He did the best makeup I ever seen.XOXO

30. Trej Burrell

June 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

hey derrick…if your reading this,then you already know what I’m bout to write …and how I feel….I barelly knew you…and I thank god for at least letting me have a chance to meet you…God works in mysterious ways and he ALWAYS place certain people in your life to shape you, learn from and make you the person we are today….everything happens for a reason…your departure wasnt a fair reason…BUT GOD MAKES NO MISTAKES!!! HE AN AWESOME AND OPEN MINDED GOD, THERE IS NOTHING!!!!!! ON THIS PLANET!!!!! THAT GOD HAS NO UNDERSTANDING FOR!!! and god forgive those who were close to Derrick for their outwrong judgemental outburst,especially on a time like this, were human, and you gave us the power to grieve with no understanding….i had fun being apart of that music video with you, los angeles was so overwhelming to me, im a little city boy trying to make it in the big city, and you were so eager to show me around L.A., the ends and outs, where to go and not.lol….that video may not have that much exposure, but I see now that the time was irreplacable and Im grateful now for what it was….Im an aspiring actor, and though I’ve just started, this journey has taken me through so much and Ive met so many other people who have the same dreams as me..and sometimes i had to watch them come to an end….Derrick, I’m doing this for us!!!! watch over me bro, give me the wisdom to choose from right and wrong, dont let me fall into drugs or the fall into the fakeness that this career brings!!!…I’ll never forget you!!!

31. Momma B

June 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He was a special person and close friend – unfortunately there were some circumstances that grew us apart. We were sidekicks who traveled across the US and had one hell of a time. He was an amazing young man and I hope that a movie is done about him.

32. Travis

July 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

a friend of mine was very close to him and was wondering if anyone knows where he is buried. would me a lot if i could find out for him. If someone could email me or post something back on here please… [moderator edit: removed email so Travis doesn’t get it caught up by spambots – please post that info here]

Business

RAGE is Latest Venue to Fall Victim to the Pandemic

Published

on

Another LGBTQ+ Nightlife Destination Has Fallen Victim to the Pandemic

WEST HOLLYWOOD (L.A. Magazine) — Rage nightclub has been a destination for LGBTQ+ nightlife in the bustling Santa Monica Boulevard corridor of West Hollywood for decades. Now, nearly 40 years after first opening its doors, the club has announced it has permanently closed, yet another local business to collapse amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Rage nightclub management lays some portion of the blame on their landlord, Monte Overstreet. The club’s now-former general manager, Ron Madrill, told Q Voice News that rent for the location was already “very high” prior to operations shutting down in March. He says he believes an impasse over rent payments may have contributed to Rage’s closure.

Overstreet also reportedly owns the space formerly occupied by neighboring bar Flaming Saddles Saloon, which also announced […]

Continue reading at www.lamag.com

Continue Reading

Top News

LAPD Hollywood Arrests Serial Identity Theft Suspect

Published

on

HOLLYWOOD — Los Angeles Police Department Hollywood Burglary/Theft detectives have announced the arrest of Raj Weaver-Bey of Arleta for Identity Theft and are urging anyone with information about these or other crimes involving the suspect to come forward.

During a relationship with a victim, Weaver-Bey stole her ATM card after obtaining the PIN without the victim’s knowledge.  He then used the card to purchase laptop computers and money orders without the victim’s permission. Weaver-Bey was convicted of a similar crime in Santa Barbara in 2018.

Raj Weaver-Bey

Detectives arrested Weaver-Bey on April 9, 2020.  When he was detained, Weaver-Bey had two ATM cards and several fraudulent checks.  Both owners of the cards told detectives they had recently been the victims of identity theft and theft by use of access card. One of the victims further stated an unknown suspect had deposited fake checks into her account and immediately withdrew cash before the checks cleared, causing a negative account balance.

Anyone with information is urged to call Hollywood Burglary Detective Brian Richardson at (213) 972-2929 or email him at 36402@lapd.online.  During non-business hours, or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247).

Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call the LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or go directly to www.lacrimestoppers.org. Tipsters may also visit www.lapdonline.org, and click on “Anonymous Web Tips” under the “Get Involved-Crime Stoppers” menu to submit an online tip. Lastly, tipsters may also download the “P3 Tips” mobile application and select the LA Regional Crime Stoppers as their local program.

Continue Reading

Health

‘Safer at Home’ Extended to May 15, Face Covers Required in Public

Published

on

Barbara Ferrer

LOS ANGELES — Today, Los Angeles County issued a new Health Officer Order to extend the stipulation in the previous Health Officer Order through May 15, 2020. The Order also requires essential businesses to provide a cloth face covering for all of their employees to wear while performing duties that involve contact with other employees and or the public and to post their physical distancing plans.

“Recent data modeling done in partnership with the Department of Health Services and UCLA suggests that our collective distancing efforts are working and that we must continue to stay home whenever possible,” said Barbara Ferrer, PhD, MPH, MEd, Director of Public Health. “The updated Health Officer Order extends ‘Safer at Home’ through May 15, and enhances measures that will protect employees who are working in essential services.”

The public is also required to wear a face covering to enter essential businesses.  All public and private gatherings of any number of people occurring outside a single household or living unit remain prohibited.  Beaches, trails and trailheads and non-essential businesses remain closed. It is critical that everyone continue to take these actions to slow the spread of COVID-19. The Order allows essential businesses to implement the new measures by April 15.

“Our community is embracing Safer at Home orders and is doing everything it can to flatten the curve,” said West Hollywood Mayor John D’Amico. “The revised order from LA County extends the stay-at-home timeline to mid May. Even though that seems like a long time – because I think it’s already April 97th – I want to encourage everyone in West Hollywood and say loud-and-clear: we can do this and we must stick with it. Humor and creativity will help: let’s all take a fashion challenge and ‘Cover That Face!’ with our fabulous homemade bandanas and scarves and we’ll each be doing our part to help protect ourselves and one another. Together we will defeat the coronavirus.”

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health also on Friday confirmed 18 new deaths and 475 new cases of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Over the last 48 hours, there have been 900 new cases. Ten people who died were over the age of 65; seven people between the ages of 41 to 65 years old and one person between the ages of 18 to 40 years old. One death was reported by the City of Long Beach and one death by the City of Pasadena.

There have been 101 confirmed cases confirmed in West Hollywood

To date, Public Health has identified 8,430 cases across all areas of LA County, including 241 deaths.  Upon further investigation, 22 cases and two deaths reported earlier were not LA County residents. As of today, 2,043 people who tested positive for COVID-19 (24% of positive cases) have been hospitalized at some point during their illness. Testing capacity continues to increase in LA county, with almost 40,700 individuals tested and 15% of people testing positive.

DHS also released its COVID-19 Hospital Demand Modeling Projections showing that physical distancing is slowing the rate of COVID-19 transmission in the county. The projections indicate that if current levels of physical distancing are not maintained, there will be an exponential rapid increase in the rate of infection, severely hampering the ability of the hospital system to meet that demand.

The insights from this modeling effort in large part informed the County of Los Angeles Dept. of Public Health’s decision to extend the ‘Safer at Home’ order until May 15, 2020.

“Physical distancing has ‘flattened the curve’ by slowing the rate of transmission of the virus.  Because of this, our healthcare system is able to meet the demand for treatment for COVID-19 patients, providing quality lifesaving services to all those who need them,” DHS Director Dr. Christina Ghaly said. “However, we need to remember that while, yes, transmission is slowing, we are still on a growth curve, and thus need to maintain the public health interventions in place. Physical distancing is the single biggest action we can take to continue to fight this virus. If we went back to life as normal today, by late summer the vast majority of Los Angeles County residents would likely have experienced infection with the virus, putting excessive strain on the healthcare system.”

The modeling team was tasked with taking available data and making the best possible predictions regarding the spread of COVID-19 in Los Angeles County and associated demand for hospital-based care including hospital beds, intensive care unit (ICU) beds, and ventilators. The team assessed the effectiveness of current physical distancing efforts in slowing the spread of COVID-19 and “flattening the curve.”

The predictive analysis which models the impending surge provides a depiction of the best- and worst-case scenarios for Los Angeles should physical distancing efforts continue and to what degree. The model projects that if we reverted to pre-order physical distancing behavior now, by August 1, 95.6% of Los Angeles County residents will likely have been infected over the course of the pandemic. Under this worst-case scenario, Los Angeles County would face an infection rate at such magnitude that the healthcare system would not be able to treat patients who need hospitalization, underscoring the need to continue to maintain current levels of physical distancing.

Total Cases*
Laboratory Confirmed Cases 8430
— Los Angeles County (excl. LB and Pas)8020
— Long Beach303
— Pasadena107
Deaths241
— Los Angeles County (excl. LB and Pas)228
— Long Beach8
— Pasadena5
Age Group (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  0 to 1784
–  18 to 402617
–  41 to 653561
–  over 651730
–  Under Investigation28
Gender (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Male4013
–  Female3768
–  Other2
–  Under Investigation237
Race/Ethnicity (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Asian526
–  Black429
–  Hispanic/Latino1621
–  White1292
–  Other655
–  Under Investigation3497
Hospitalization (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Hospitalized (Ever)2043
Deaths Race/Ethnicity (Los Angeles County Cases Only-excl LB and Pas)
–  Asian38
Unincorporated – White Fence Farms00
Unincorporated – Whittier
Unincorporated – Whittier Narrows00
Unincorporated – Willowbrook2057.29
Unincorporated – Wiseburn
–  Under Investigation628

*These numbers are subject to change based on further investigation. Twenty-two previously reported cases and two deaths were not in Public Health’s jurisdiction

**– means that case numbers are suppressed (between 1 and 4 cases in communities <25,000 people).

***Rate is crude and is per 100,000.

Continue Reading