NEW YORK (PageSix) — Equinox is desperately trying to rehabilitate its image.
In the wake of a public relations nightmare after members learned investor Stephen Ross hosted a political fundraiser for President Donald Trump , chairman Harvey Spevak announced Thursday that the tony gym will donate $1 million to five charities.
“Many of you have asked for clarification on Stephen Ross’s investment in Equinox. Mr. Ross is not the majority investor in Equinox. He is one of the investors including myself. He does not run the company. I do. I am the Executive Chairman of Equinox and have led the vision and strategic direction of the company since I joined in 1999. Our focus has always been about building a community centered on our values, not politics,” Spevak explained in a memo sent to members and staff.
Last week, Equinox and sister gym, SoulCycle , faced a firestorm after it was revealed Ross was hosting the event, with celebs and activists freaking out on social media and members canceling subscriptions . The fitness company also operates PURE Yoga and Blink Fitness.
This Just In…
- WeHo Adjacent ‘Modern Farmhouse’ Close to Melrose Listed for $4.29M September 16, 2019
- Whole Foods Cuts Med Benefits for 1,900 Part-Time Workers September 16, 2019
- Poo Bear’s Hollywood Hills Home Burgled, Caught on Video September 15, 2019
- Wehoville’s ArrestLogs: Unbiased or Can You Pay to Remove a Name? September 15, 2019
- Multiple Angle Videos on CitizenApp Show Broken Glass That Doesn’t Move September 15, 2019
- Traffic2 days ago
Unusual Crashes Disturb Peaceful Sunday Morning in WeHo
- Opinion2 days ago
Wehoville’s ArrestLogs: Unbiased or Can You Pay to Remove a Name?
- DUI2 days ago
Family Talks About Musician Killed in DUI Crash, Viacom Lawsuit
- Burglaries2 days ago
Multiple Angle Videos on CitizenApp Show Broken Glass That Doesn’t Move