NEW YORK (PageSix) — Equinox is desperately trying to rehabilitate its image.
In the wake of a public relations nightmare after members learned investor Stephen Ross hosted a political fundraiser for President Donald Trump , chairman Harvey Spevak announced Thursday that the tony gym will donate $1 million to five charities.
“Many of you have asked for clarification on Stephen Ross’s investment in Equinox. Mr. Ross is not the majority investor in Equinox. He is one of the investors including myself. He does not run the company. I do. I am the Executive Chairman of Equinox and have led the vision and strategic direction of the company since I joined in 1999. Our focus has always been about building a community centered on our values, not politics,” Spevak explained in a memo sent to members and staff.
Last week, Equinox and sister gym, SoulCycle , faced a firestorm after it was revealed Ross was hosting the event, with celebs and activists freaking out on social media and members canceling subscriptions . The fitness company also operates PURE Yoga and Blink Fitness.
This Just In…
- Sam Smith Releases Acoustic Version of ‘How Do You Sleep?’ August 18, 2019
- ‘This Is Us’ Star Chrissy MGtz Performs at the Gay Men’s Chorus of L.A. Hala August 18, 2019
- Home of the Week: Sunset Strip Pad Steps Up its Game August 18, 2019
- Faye Dunaway Sued for Harassing Assistant, ‘Little Homosexual Boy’ Slur August 18, 2019
- Major Streets Closed to Cars, Open to People for CicLAvia on Aug 18 August 18, 2019
- Events9 hours ago
Major Streets Closed to Cars, Open to People for CicLAvia on Aug 18
- Live Music2 hours ago
Sam Smith Releases Acoustic Version of ‘How Do You Sleep?’
- Movies2 days ago
Retroformat Coalition Brings Silent Film Back to Hollywood
- Books1 day ago
George Takei to Appear at B&N at The Grove, Vroman’s