Connect with us

Business

Crunch Gym Closing for Construction with Little Notice

Published

on

Some Weho Daily readers are a bit peeved about what they say is short notice about the closing of the Crunch Gym at Crescent Heights and Sunset Blvd for remodeling.

An email went out dated yesterday, August 11, stating that the gym would be closing beginning on August 19. The manager, Amita Balla Casey, couldn’t offer much comment without authorization from her PR department, but alluded to notice being given at the beginning of the month. As comments to this post state, signs have been up since the beginning of the month.

While one of our tipsters has generally known about the closing, they say that the email was the first “official word” of the closing that they had seen.  Other comments below are less annoyed about the closing, but rather about lack of compensation being offered as of yet on the monthly dues.

The email states that they gym will be closed from August 19th at 11pm through the morning of August 28 “in order to make extensive renovations throughout the club. In order to complete these renovations in the least amount of time and with the least amount of disruption, we feel it’s necessary to close the club entirely.”

While the gym says that alternative arrangements are being made for members during the closure, they apparently are not ready to announce what they are.   “Look for more information at the gym in the coming weeks,” said the email.

Equinox in Weho is offering memberships to Crunch members with no initiation fee through August 28.

Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

1. l

August 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I got a letter in the mail a few days ago from Crunch headquarters regarding the closure, there has also been notice up at the gym. The thing I’m annoyed with, besides the gym being closed for a week, but my payment for the month remains the same when I won’t even be able to go for a week…or more if they don’t get it completed in a week.

2. gecko

August 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Signs have been posted up at the gym since the beginning of the month, and I mean ALL over the place. While it is irritating that that there’s no adjustment to the dues given that the gym will be closed for basically 1/3 of the month, you can’t claim they didn’t warn us.

Well, I suppose you could say it if you haven’t actually been to the gym all month.

3. Sam Page

August 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Great classes but poor management. Crunch corporate really needs to step up its customer service game if it hopes to win back the LA Equinox crowd. They could start by responding to its members on Twitter instead of just broadcasting to us. The closure is a great example of classic miscommunication.

4. Denis Redman

August 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM

What are they charging new members these days? A couple of years ago when they wanted to up my monthly dues to $79 I was outta there.

5. mike

August 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I called Crunch Corporate and they are giving me money for the week off… I suggest everyone does the same. These guys are cheap liars and this is complete BS. Screw them.

6. Mr. Echo

August 23, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Funny how a gym can do a complete remodel costing millions with all new equipment without raising the rates but people still find something to bitch about.

Crunch could have sent out a mass email months ago and people still wouldn’t have gotten the message because most people would have deleted it thinking it was junk mail.

Crunch even threw a big closing party with free food and booze for all the members.

Say what you want about Equinox being chic but for a Crunch membership being half the price of Equinox and having a much more fun vibe, I’d choose Crunch any day.

And no, I don’t work for Crunch.