Weather: 68° on the Sunset Strip

 

Crime & Safety, Top News


A man charged with sexually assaulting a woman he met on Match.com pleaded no contest today to felony sexual battery by restraint, the District Attorney’s office announced.

Related Posts:

  1. Pressured by Sex Assault Case, Match.com Will Screen Members
  2. Sex Assault Victim Pressures Match.com for Screening
  3. Slasher Pleads Not Guilty to Charges, More Crazy Details
  4. Woman Pleads Not Guilty in Beverly Hills Murder
  5. Boyfriend Also Pleads Not Guilty in Beverly Hills Murder

Alan Paul Wurtzel, 67, of Pacific Palisades, entered the plea before Superior Court Judge Barbara Johnson, said Deputy District Attorney Jane Creighton with the Sex Crimes Division.

Wurtzel and a female television executive met in early 2010 and went on two dates. On the second date on May 20, 2010, Wurtzel drove the woman home and followed into her residence, where he sexually assaulted her while holding her down.

The case started right here in West Hollywood, where Wurtzel met his victim for their first date at Urth Caffe.  His victim fought back after the attack, not only to ensure that Wurtzel was prosecuted, but also against Match.com with demands that the company do more to screen its members.

The story has made national headlines because Wurtzel has a history of sex crimes.  His record in Los Angeles County alone indicates six separate convictions for sexual battery in the period preceding his attack. Wurtzel had been the subject of several criminal investigations alleging sexual assault, beginning in 2001.

“This horrific ordeal completely blindsided me because I had considered myself savvy about online dating safety,” stated the victim through her attorney. “It started with what seemed like a pleasant date at Urth Caffe in West Hollywood. Things quickly turned into a nightmare, beyond my control.”

Match.com, which is part of IAC and has offices on the Sunset Strip, has since announced that they will begin screening members against the National Sex Offender Registry.

“This history could be rapidly uncovered through simple, inexpensive technological means, roughly estimated at less than five dollars a subscriber,” said her attorney, Mark L. Webb.

Wurtzel returns to court Sept. 19 for sentencing. He is facing 365 days in jail, five years formal probation and he must register as a sex offender for life, Creighton said. In exchange for his plea, one count of forcible oral copulation will be dismissed.

GD Star Rating
loading...

What do you think?

© 2011 Weho Daily · Subscribe:PostsComments